UPDATE: Read the joint statement released by the Global Council of Unions here The International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) has called an international day of action in solidarity with unionists in the Philippines.
The latest police crackdown targeting unions and human rights defenders occurs amid a broader climate of government repression in the Philippines. Unionists are arrested, offices are raided, and trade unionists have been murdered.
The 2019 ITUC Global Rights Index names the Philippines as among the ten worst countries in the world for workers’ rights.
To support the global day of action, WA unions and their members are asked to:
- Print and sign the attached model letter to President Duterte, which has been drafted by the ITUC. Please then send the letter to email@example.com as an attachment. The letter will be submitted to the Consulate by UnionsWA President Steve McCartney on Tuesday.
Please DO NOT send them straight to the Philippines government.
- Support the Solidarity Action which has been arranged for Perth as follows:
- Date: Tuesday, 10 December, 2019
- Time: 9am
- Place: 21 Biscayne Way, Jandakot
- There is also a webinar with international speakers scheduled for early Sunday morning (5am Perth time). For more details on how to access the webinar via Zoom, please click here.