The IEUA Equity Committee has been established to support our members’ vision of, and commitment to, a fair and just society in which all workers are treated equitably in the workplace and their community.
We believe that workplaces and society should not accept bullying, harassment or discrimination.
The Equity Committee is comprised of members diverse in age, gender and culture. Members are situated in metro, rural, regional and remote locations in Western Australia.
We use ICT solutions to ensure that all members of the Committee can participate equally.
The Equity Committee meets once a term to progress initiatives, plan and action upcoming activities.
Meeting times will appear on our Event Calendar here
The Equity Committee members will:
- work to maintain focus of the agreed activities, projects and benefits. We know that the collegial and inclusive process is important, as is the outcome
- arrive at decisions by consensus
- share ideas and resources
- be involved in the planning and implementation of the selected projects
- be aware of IEUA national & WA Branch priorities such as supporting APHEDA
- reach out to all IEU members and encourage them to participate
The IEU Equity Committee will:
- engage with issues of discrimination and inequality in the non-government school sector
- be active in influencing the broader community in issues of discrimination and inequality
- support the establishment of fair, safe and inclusive workplaces for workers in the non-government education sector.
- have a particular focus on three specific projects each calendar year
- engage in ongoing dialogue and debate on equality and inclusiveness issues as they arise ( e.g. winter homelessness in Perth; WA having the lowest percentage of women on Boards))
- draw up a yearly calendar noting key dates that need to be recognized and/or celebrated during the year
- work with union colleagues from across the movement on projects and activities of shared interest