One of the functions of the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA) is to regulate the professional conduct of teachers. Some of the ways the TRB manage this are:
- receiving and assessing notices and complaints about teachers
- deciding whether disciplinary proceedings should be initiated on receipt of notices or complaints, a change in criminal history or changes to teaching status in another State
- conducting investigations in relation to disciplinary or impairment matters
- managing disciplinary proceedings and implement disciplinary action against teachers as required.
ACTION Members should take if you receive a letter from the TRB advising they have received a complaint and are investigating the matter:
- CALL YOUR UNION immediately to receive sound and accurate advice
- Do not respond to the TRB
- Do NOT discuss the letter with your colleagues (as it may be confidential)
The IEU represents all teacher Union members before the TRB. Union members do not need to engage a lawyer, the IEU Industrial Officers are experienced in representing Teacher members with TRB matters.