From a media statement by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety:
The Hon Bill Johnston MLA, Minister for Industrial Relations, has announced an Inquiry into the systematic and deliberate underpayment of wages or entitlements of workers in Western Australia. View the Minister’s media statement.
The Inquiry is being undertaken by Mr Tony Beech, former Chief Commissioner of the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission.
The Inquiry is seeking submissions from workers, unions, employers and employer organisations and community organisations in Western Australia. The matters the Inquiry will consider include:
- whether there is evidence of wage theft occurring in Western Australia;
- the reasons wage theft is occurring, including whether it has become the business model for some organisations;
- the impact of wage theft on workers, the businesses that are compliant with employment laws, and the Western Australian community and economy;
- whether the current State and federal regulatory framework for dealing with wage theft is effective in combating wage theft and supporting affected workers; and
- whether new laws should be introduced in Western Australia to address wage theft, and if so, whether wage theft should be a criminal offence.
View the Terms of Reference for the Inquiry.
Online survey for workers
The Inquiry’s online survey form allows workers to provide details of their experiences of wage theft. Complete the survey now.
Making a submission
Submissions to the Inquiry should be made via email to email@example.com or by post to:
Inquiry into Wage Theft
Private Sector Labour Relations Division
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Locked Bag 14
Cloisters Square WA 6850
Submissions from individual workers will be considered as confidential. Submissions from community groups and stakeholders will be published on the Inquiry website unless confidentiality is requested when the submission is made.
Submissions are requested by Wednesday 27 March 2019.
Any questions about the Inquiry should be directed to the Inquiry Secretariat via firstname.lastname@example.org